Inspired by Helen Fawkes, with some help from Life’d.
I talk about the inspiration for this list in this blog post. You are welcome to comment, make suggestions, encourage and support me, or even join me in some of the activities.
It’s is more of a travel guide than a rigid itinerary, something I can dip into, refer to and play with, change or remove things and add new items as and when new ideas occur to me.
There are no must-do’s, should-do’s or targets, no particular order or priority and no time boundaries. This list is about living life to the full, dancing in the rain, finding out what I want, what I like and having experiences. When I die, I want to know that I really lived. And it doesn’t matter if I don’t complete the list before I die… maybe some of you will do it for me…?
Go to Paris for lunch – Done!
2. Haggle in the market in Istanbul
3. Sleep on a beach, under the stars and be first in the sea in the morning
Eat an oyster – Done!
7. Visit the Guggenheim museum in New York
Visit the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao – Done!
Drive through Italy on my very own ‘Room with a View’ tour of stunning Italian cities (Venice, Rome, Siena, Florence, Naples) – Done! (apart from Naples)
9. Help someone else fulfil a dream
Train as a Playback Theatre practitioner – ongoing!
11. Set up a Playback Theatre group to perform for/to groups of people affected by cancer – in progress!
Volunteer with R&Be to raise awareness of blood, stem cell and organ donation – ongoing!
14. Ride a camel across a desert, wearing a keffiyeh
Ride a horse in Central Park, New York – sadly no longer possible
15a. Ride a horse in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, New York
16. Plan my burial ceremony, find the perfect burial place, choose the tree I want planted – in progress!
17. Have a wooden floor in my kitchen
18. Dance in the rain
19. Live in rural Wales for a few months
21. Eat at the Fat Duck
22. Foster a dog – in progress!
Meet online myeloma friend: Deborah, from Hertfordshire, UK – Done!
Meet online cancer friend: Marie-Chantal, from Canada – sadly no longer possible – she died in August 2014
Meet online cancer friend: Rebecca, from USA – sadly no longer possible – she decided not to be my friend because we disagreed about the situation in Israel/Palestine
Meet online myeloma friend: Marianne, from Norway – sadly no longer possible – she died in April 2014
Get a new sofa and curtains for my living room – Done!
Go barefoot walking – ongoing!
27. Float in the Dead Sea
28. Write a will
29. Visit Monet’s garden at Giverney
30. Explore the Danube Delta by boat
Bake a cake for an elderly neighbour – Done!
See a Blue Man group show – Done!
33. Be part of a flash mob
35. Learn/re-learn to speak Greek fluently
36. Visit Victoria Falls
Have a professional photo taken with my family – Done!
38. Create a short film/video
39. Write a book
Write a regular newspaper column – Was ongoing, but had to stop when I couldn’t concentrate to write
Watch an opera in Verona – Done!
41. Meet my Irish relatives
42. Stay up all night with friends round a camp fire, chatting, singing, watching the stars and seeing the sunrise
Learn to play tennis – Cancelled! I no longer want to do this
43a. Go to watch professional tennis at Wimbledon
44. Watch all Three Colours films, (Bleu, Blanc, Rouge), one after the other
46. Re-learn to knit and complete a knitting project – ongoing!
47. Create a job/work that I love
48. Do a long distance cycle ride
49. Do a “Thelma & Louise”-style road trip with my friend Krish, up Australia’s east coast
50. Learn to play the harmonica
51. Learn to speak Italian
51a. Live in Verona for a few months
52. Take a flight in a two-seater airplane – in planning!
52a. Take a flight in a glider – in planning!
54. Drive a Jaguar XK – a red one!
55. Learn to enjoy doing nothing – ongoing!