For some light relief, let me share some of the challenges, joys and startling insights that I encountered while in Barcelona and Girona, in Spain for five days last week…
1. If I want to climb Girona‘s medieval city walls, despite a loss of one third of my lung function, I damn well will… just slowly and with lots of rest stops. It was worth it!
2. There’s really nothing quite like xurros amb xocolata (in Spanish: churros con chocolate), sat outside on a terrace in the wintery sunshine – Really! Nothing! Like it!
3. It is possible to be completely stuffed on pinchos/tapas… every day for four days… and still not have tried everything.
3a. Who needs sex when I got so damn close to an oral orgasm by eating – in particular, a Basque pintxo of the most succulent duck ever, with a thick sweet blueberry conserve? OMG! (at Zanpanzar, Girona)
4. In Catalunya, if you’re not sure of a woman’s name, there’s a very good chance it’ll be Montserrat. They’re everywhere!
5. Wandering around with eyes watering due to dry eye and blinded by bright sunshine, then losing a contact lens is not ideal in a visually exciting city.
6. Shopping is fun… in Barcelona… on steroids… Especially if you like distinctive fashion… and you have a generous birthday gift just gagging to be spent.
7. Steroids are definitely my drug of choice. You know… if and when the time comes… I think I’d prefer them to morphine. Just saying…
7a. Prednisolone has less dramatic effects than Dexamethosone. Nonetheless, I relished eating, smelling, hearing, seeing, tasting, touching – all sensory perception heightened and feeling high, if a little peculiar. I loved it!
“And I am feeling a little peculiar
And so I wake in the morning
And I step outside
And I take a deep breath and I get real high
And I scream at the top of my lungs
What’s going on?”
– 4 Non Blondes, What’s Goin’ On?
8. Gaudí is not the only amazing architect of his time in the region. How about Rafael Masó in Gerona and Lluís Domènech i Montaner in Barcelona? The Palau de la Música Catalana is truly awesome! But I still think Gaudí is my favourite.
9. In Catalunya, the sense of pride in the culture and region is fierce. I loved hearing Catalan everywhere, including the beautiful voice of a local soprano, Maite Mer, whose version of ‘The Answer is Blowing in the Wind’ [Escolta-ho en el vent] gave me chills and made me want to learn Catalan. Sadly, it isn’t available on YouTube, although I did buy a CD. But here she is singing Que Tinguem Sort [Lucky].
10. Feeling edgy and nervous about my future health, but not paying it no-never-mind for a few days certainly makes for a super-charged response to life. (The steroids undoubtedly play a part.)
Lovely photos Jet, it was a pleasure to share all the delicioso tapas with you xx
It was, wasn’t it?! ¡Hasta la proxima! I say. x
Sounds amazing. I’ve never been to Spain.
Well, if you do ever go, Barcelona is a wonderful starting point. x
You are a truly amazing lady to see so much beauty in everything that you see whilst having to deal with so many things going on with your body. I have to say that I am happy on morphine and could not cope with steroids: they kept me awake for five days with no sleep! Lorraine
Yeah. Not getting much sleep here either. Although Pred isn’t as bad as Dex. I’ve not yet had morphine so can’t compare but I do enjoy the joy of steroid highs.
Thanks Jet so glad you had such a great time and shared it with us love ev xxxx
I’ll be sharing these amazing shots with my son who’s learned European geography.
Cool! Loads more where they came from. If you find me in FB, I’ll be uploading to an album you can look at… when I get round to it.
I still loathe FB, Need a GPS in there:
Or you could email me and I’ll happily share via another method, Dropbox or a photo sharing app like ??? Not do clued in on those but have friends who’d know. 😀
You’ll see my addy in the comments notification email but send me some shots:
Honestly, not a whole lot – if you read my 1000 Readers Recover Missing Woman post not too far back, you learned how tight on time I am. I’ve been able to keep up the blogging this wk bc we’re on homeschool break. I look fwd to sharing those shots with my boy.